We've been needing some additional storage in our attic makerspace for a while now - materials and tools have been building up on the benchtops without a proper home. So I built this quick-and-dirty storage unit out of scraps to give everything somewhere to live. It's sized to fit right under one of the workbenches that is almost never used, so it shouldn't interfere with anyone's legs.
I remember trying a little linocut block printing in high school, and have always thought I might try it again someday. So I've been messing around with it lately, and have made three so far. My favorite so far is the round one - it's a scene from the Avatar: The Last Airbender show, and is Zuko during the last Agni Kai with Azula. Will definitely be trying more of these. I need to get some 'real' paper for this, though - I've been using generic "mixed media' paper from Walmart, but I think it's time to try some 'official' block printing rice paper.
I've been trying to think of things to sculpt from clay, and got the idea of making a series of mounted monster heads, from the Monster Hunter series. This one is Glavenus. It went pretty well - the sculpting went better than the painting, but it all went well enough that I think I'm going to try another one.
We've needed a big plant for our main living room window for a while - all of my seedlings were on the window sill originally, but they were all getting ready to be repotted into bigger pots, and were no longer going to fit on the windowsill. So I built this big plant stand out of cherry. This makes much better use of the sunlight, and the plants are loving it.
For Carter's birthday I took her up to the mountains for a day trip. While we were up there we decided to go hunting for some mineral samples for the curio cabinet I had recently finished. The spot we headed to is called Lord's Hill, and is the site of an old open-pit mine. But if you hike a bit past the mine you can find a nice outlook. It was a pretty foggy day, but the view was still pretty cool.
During the summer Carter and I started thinking we needed somewhere to store and display all of the 'science-y` type stuff we've collected - bones, minerals, shells, fossils, etc. So I built this little curio cabinet for our makerspace in the attic. It's build from cherry and has glass shelves and lighting. We're really happy with it, and we've still got lots of empty space - so we've got plenty of room to grow our collection.
We've been trying to start a bunch of plants from seed indoors - mostly fruit trees. So far we've planted lemons, clementines, mango, and avocado. Once the seedlings start to grow I'm going to need to move them out of the tiny pots they're in right now into something larger. So I've started on throwing a bunch of bigger planters to be ready. Here they are drying after being thrown - so they still need to be trimmed, bisqued, and glazed. I'll try to post new pics once the glaze is on there.
I've got the idea to make an Arduino-based metronome while I was between other projects. It's got a Neopixel ring for flashing the beat (plus a piezo buzzer) and displaying the current BPM, plus a pair of buttons for increasing/decreasing the rate. So, pretty simple - but kind of cool. I still need to figure out an enclosure for it - I'll post another pic once it's done.