I recently purchased a starter kit for learning to do stained glass, and built this cabinet to hold all of the supplies. I painted the front of the cabinet in a design Carter used to use for her paintings, and I thought it looked a little like stained glass and would make for an interesting set of cabinet drawer fronts.
I saw a video on YouTube where someone was using a laser cutter to cut veneer for marquetry, and made this as a proof of concept. It uses six different species of veneer, and I built the box out of cherry. I used a photo I took of Mt. Eisenhower and Mt. Washington from the summit of Mt. Pierce. It worked pretty well, and I think I'm going to try more projects like this in the future.
I recently built a frame-making jig for my table saw, and have been using it to make a bunch of frames for the linocuts I made last year. They're all now hanging in my workshop - which really helps make it feel more like a creative space than just a dusty old woodshop.
Carter once showed me a picture online of a lamp made to look like a poseable figure. It's been on my list of things to try for a while now, and I finally got around to making a couple. I really like how expressive it can be, even with only a few poseable joints.
I've switched to a new type of clay recently, and have also switched to a different brand of glaze. So I figured it was time to do a whole bunch of new test tiles. For this experiment I tried every glaze on top of every other glaze - essentially every possible combination. And where I've got 12 different glazes, that amounted to 144 test tiles! There are some pretty interesting combos that have come out of this test, so I'm pretty excited to try them out on some real pieces.
Over Memorial Day weekend I took a few extra days off and rebuilt the deck. Most of the decking decking had rotted to the point of no longer being safe to walk on. I had to strip the whole deck back to the bare structure, replace a few rotten joists, and then add new deck boards, railings, lattice, and azalea bushes. It was a LOT of work, but I think it looks pretty good! In a few months I should be able to stain it - once the pressure-treated decking has had a little more time to fully dry out so it will accept the stain.
Here's an updated photo of the avocado tree I planted from a pit about two years ago now. It's probably almost 4 feet tall at this point, and is no longer just a single stem with leaves - it's finally starting to branch out like a tree.
This is the newer, thinner version of the word alarm clock - now with it's walnut enclosure. This now sits proudly on my desk at work.
Years ago I built a one-digit Lixie clock that's now in my office at work. But I've always wanted to build a full six-digit version (with seconds), as that is way more interesting to look at. Now with the laser cutter for etching the acrylic and my new knowledge for making PCBs, this project idea finally seems ready to translate into reality. The photo on the left is a proof of concept of a single digit. The photo on the right is all of the various parts I've been working on to build the six-digit version.